- Today – Monday, February 10: Make a donation of $50 or more to the Washington Animal Rescue League and they’ll send your valentine a handwritten paper Valentine’s Day Card just in time for the holiday. Your loved one gets a special valentine that helps homeless dogs and cats find safe, loving homes too!
- Tuesday, February 11: Join Compassion Over Killing and and the director of Unsupersize Me for a screening of the award-winning documentary, followed by Q&A and free food. Details & RSVP: http://bit.ly/1fOlyYB
- Wednesday, February 12: Support Compassion Over Killing while enjoying your favorite vegan Asian dishes at Vegetable Garden, 3830 International Drive. 10% of your bill will be donated to COK – lunch, dinner, dine in, or takeout! 11:15am to 10pm.
- Thursday, February 13: Join the ASPCA‘s Congressional Animal Protection Caucus for “Paws for Love,” featuring food, sweet treats, drinks, legislators, and adorable animals. Local rescue groups will be on hand with puppies and kittens in need of permanent homes. Head to the Cannon House Caucus Room from noon-2:30pm.
- Friday, February 14: Vegan Chef, Dr. Ruby Lathon and Chef, Author & Attorney, Jewell Elliott, host “Healthy is Sexy,” a Valentine’s Vegan Tasting & Cooking Demonstration. Head to B Spot Art Gallery (1123 Pennsylvania Ave., SE) from 6:00 pm to 8:00pm. More info at: www.HealthyIsSexy14.Eventbrite.com
The Animal Rights National Conference, the world’s largest and longest-running animal rights gathering, will take place June 27-30 at the Alexandria Mark Center Hilton. Register before February 11th, and the entire conference — chock full of speakers, information sessions, free exhibits, video premieres, and more! — costs just $100! Don’t miss out. Register here.
Snoopy, a 17-year-old dog, went missing this week outside the Whole Foods store on P Street, prompting PETA to urge D.C. residents never to leave dogs alone outside stores, restaurants, or anywhere else, even for “just a minute.” That minute could haunt an animal guardian for the rest of his or her life.
Leaving animals outdoors unattended invites tragedy. Tied up alone, animals can easily be stolen, attacked by other animals, or subjected to random acts of cruelty. If spooked by a loud noise, an animal might also slip his or her collar in a panic and become lost or be hit by a car. A scared dog can bite children or adults—even those with the best of intentions—who approach the animal clumsily.
PETA recommends that you take the following simple precautions to protect your animal companion’s safety:
· If you plan to run errands while you’re out walking your dog, take a human companion along. That way, someone you trust can run the errand while you wait with your dog or vice versa.
· If you must stop somewhere where dogs aren’t welcome, drop your dog off at home, where he or she will be safe and comfortable. Your animal companion’s safety is well worth making a side trip.
· Never leave your dog in a parked car during the summer for any amount of time, even with the windows slightly open. The inside of a car can reach deadly temperatures in minutes.
“Dog theft and other dangers should be taken very seriously,” says PETA Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch. “It only takes a second for a dog tied up outside a store—out of your sight—to be abducted. Please never leave your animal companions alone outside stores, restaurants, or anywhere else.”
For more information, please visit PETA.org.Read More
Writing your holiday wish list? Check out these 14 Eco-Chic Vegan Gifts!
Planning a large holiday party for a mixed-diet crowd? Carmine’s can handle groups and their vegan versions of Italian classics will satisfy even your picky Uncle Joe.
Not feeling glam enough to take on the New Year? Check out au naturale, the new DC-based, all-vegan make-up line.
Want to give gifts that give back? The Kindness Collective’s shop features autographed books by vegans Moby and Steve-O, and sales benefit victims of abuse and their pets.
Need a reason to toast the season? Our friends at Compassion Over Killing have worked with Quorn, one of the best-selling frozen vegetarian brands in the country, to finally add an all-vegan patty to their product line-up!
Happy Holidays!Read More